Good morning fellow readers!
I am super pumped to be hosting my first interview on Unicorn Quester! 😀
Not only that, but this is a story I have been very eagerly looking forward to reading! My Kindle has been calling my name all week, reminding me of how much I am going to enjoy this story because one friend said “It’s like Princess Bride, Beauty & the Beast, and Greek mythology had a baby!”
I definitely know what I’m going to be reading on my upcoming vacation! 😉
With that said, grab a blanket and a few pillows for my fun chat with H.L. Burke about Middle Earth, snakes, and Theodore the Dragon.
But first! Take a look at her awesome cover below and let me know what you think in the comments. Sound intriguing?
A healing touch. A hideous face. A looming curse.
As the ugly twin to a perfect sister, Princess Laidra lives her life in the shadows—until her parents offer her as bait for a giant serpent.
Her escape attempt leaves her shipwrecked on a secluded island with only one inhabitant: Prince Calen, who lives under a curse. If anyone looks upon him, he turns into a giant serpent. Speaking to him in the darkness, Laidra sees past the monster to Calen’s lonely soul, and she determines to free him from the magic’s hold.
But if Laidra can’t break the curse in time, Calen will become a mindless creature of scales and fangs forever.
Coiled is available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBook, Kobo, and any other online retailer, and Coiled can be requested at any bookstore or library.
– Hi H.L.! I am SO excited to have you on the blog! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
Impulsive, passionate, caffeinated
– Ooo a coffee drinker! I noticed on your website that you mentioned you grew up with heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia. I got to ask the big question…which three heroes were your favorite? (insert maniacal laughter)
First is easy: Aragorn. I had a major crush on Aragorn as a book characters and almost all the annoyances I have with the movies center around Aragorn not being the Aragorn/Strider I imagined in various ways. Second to this would be a tie between Faramir (because he’s like Aragorn’s adorable little brother) and Eowyn (because I identified with her a lot). Technically that is three, but I feel I should have at least one from Narnia too so I’ll throw in Lucy because I always liked her and she had a cool dagger and healing potion set.
– I love Aragorn! I could totally see why you had a book character crush on him! 😉 You’ve suddenly been thrown into the world of one of your favorite fandoms! Where and who are you?
Does Myst count as a fandom? I would really love to go into a Myst style game and play around with the various puzzles in a tactile manner instead of just point and click. I really loved those games, and I even read the three Myst novels. I also would still be myself, a wanderer who happened to fall into the linking book and must puzzle my way back home … eventually.
– That sounds really fascinating! I’m super pumped about Coiled, especially considering it will be one of my first mythology retellings. (Woot woot!) I remember you sharing interesting tidbits on your social media when doing research about snakes. What was one of the most interesting or disgusting things you learned? Did you apply it to your book?
The most frustrating thing to research was whether or not snakes get motion sickness. I thought it would be a nice sensory detail, but there really wasn’t anything anywhere on the web. I finally had someone tell me that snakes don’t have the inner ear system that causes motion sickness in humans, but that since there is a psychological aspect to motion sickness, and my snake is psychologically a human, I figured he would be fine getting a little queasy.
Other things I looked at were more basic, like how fast my snake could plausibly travel, whether it could swim, whether it could blink (no, snakes don’t really have eyelids).
– That’s really interesting because I had never thought about if a snake might have motion sickness. I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite character, but I am curious about who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with you? What would you guys do?
I have a major thing for Ellis from the Nyssa Glass series. He’s like my favorite fictional person ever, so I kind of do have a favorite character. Ellis is a cool guy and we’d probably go out for coffee and talk wild ideas because Ellis is all about possibilities. We could get really theoretical and philosophical and talk about anything and everything … that said, I also have characters that are dragons, and it would be fun to have a dragon on hand. A cute little dragon like Cricket from Cora and the Nurse Dragon or a big majestic one like Gnaw from Dragon’s Curse. Hmm, dragons.
– I totally wouldn’t mind hanging out with one of your dragons! Also, I recently bought your Nysa Glass series so I can’t wait to get to know Ellis! Sounds like you guys would have a really good time. 🙂 What do you think you would do if your family decided to make you bait for a giant serpent?
I would call upon Theodore the Dragon, my loyal friend and companion, and he would protect me!
– Three cheers for Theodore the Dragon! 😀 Thanks so much for stopping by H.L. and chatting with me! Looking forward to reading Coiled this weekend!
About the Author
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.
An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, or television series (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Star Trek all took their turns), but she has grown to be what she considers a well-rounded connoisseur of geek culture.
Married to her high school crush who is now a US Marine, she has moved multiple times in her adult life but believes that home is wherever her husband, two daughters, and pets are.
Follow her personal blog at www.hlburkeblog.com
Connect with H.L.
Scavenger Hunt Clue!
Have you been keeping up with all the clues for the Coiled Scavenger Hunt? (No worries if you haven’t! The blog schedule is below to get all caught up. 😉 ) Look for a photo of either or both of #TheodoretheDragon and #PistachioSnek holding up a note. Each note is part of our secret phrase. When you have all seven pieces of our secret phrase click here and tell UUP. All correct entries will be put into a random drawing for a signed paperback of Coiled. The winner will be drawn at our Facebook party on June 23rd.
With that said, your next clue is…
Wait! There’s More Fun to Come This Friday Night!
Be sure to RSVP here!
Blog Tour Schedule
June 5 – Liz Delton, Author Interview (scavenger hunt)
June 7 – Monsters, Misfits, Mushy Stuff Guest Blog (scavenger hunt)
June 8 – Brianna Merritt, Book Spotlight
June 10 – Rebekah Gyger, Greek Gods Guest Blog (scavenger hunt)
June 12 – A. R. Silverberry, Guest Blog (scavenger hunt)
June 13 – Heather Hayden, Author Interview (scavenger hunt)
June 14 – Lea Doue, Author Interview
June 15 – Alyson, Author Interview (scavenger hunt)
June 20 – Jebraun Clifford, Guest Blog
June 22 – Laura Pol, Author Interview (scavenger hunt) <— You are here!
June 23 – Olivia Fisher, Book Spotlight