Are you ready to get to know one of my favorite author’s a little better?
Eeeeepp! I hope so because I’m dancing in my chair with excitement over here!
Come meet indie author Desiree Williams and find out all about Reese and his story dust, the inspiration behind her novel Illusionary, and what kind of vacation tour you can get when you read her amazing story! 😉
But first let me introduce you to this beauty of a book!
About the Book
Dorothy got sucked into a tornado.
Alice fell down a hole.
Wendy flew to Neverland.
Kamryn? She tripped down the stairs.
Now, Kamryn Kensington finds herself in a strange new world. Within minutes of her arrival, she dodges an archer’s arrow and avoids getting sliced up by a cosplay reject holding a dagger to her throat. And that’s before the storyteller’s breath brings stories to life.
Home is the mission—to return to her family and pursue her life’s dream of art and travel. Yet the longer she’s in the Land of Ur, the harder it is not to feel for the people she meets. Even her artistic side can’t help but breathe in the beautiful wonder and magic of this new world. So when the Oracle hands her a different quest, she takes it on the condition he sends her home afterward.
No one thought to warn her of a jealous queen and her dragon minions. Or that, by helping her, the cute storyteller would go crazy. Or that her heart would rip in two when she left. Those would’ve been great facts to know ahead of time.
Considering that nothing in Ur is what it seems, the mission proves to be more than she ever imagined. But more than her own future will be in jeopardy if Kamryn doesn’t succeed.
– Hi Desiree! I’m SO excited to be chatting with you! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
*tackle hugs* I’m SO excited to be chatting with YOU! You are by far among my favorite people.
And hmmm … three words that describe me? *taps chin* Daydreamer, Encourager, and Loving.
– HUGS! YOU are one of my favorite people!! I’m so thankful for your friendship! And inedeed you are definitely an encourager and loving! Plus, a Daydreamer too with all those awesome stories you write! 😉 I hear you are also a “chocoholic by night.” What’s your top three favorite chocolate to have on hand for any occasion?
Oooh, chocolate is indeed my favorite food group! LOL! And right now I’m all about the Easter candy. The Reese’s eggs, the Cadbury eggs, ooh … all the yumminess makes me happy!
– LOL! I am sure you are not alone feeling that way about chocolate! Good thing all the Easter eggs are all on sale! 😉 Oh! I forgot to mention! I hear you are a “dreamer by day” too! Want to share any WIPs you’ve been recently dreaming about? (Because I would totally LOVE to know all about them!!)
Bahaha! I wish I could bring you into my office to view all my scattered mess of notes and daydreams.
This year I’m mostly focusing on editing the massive stack of WIPs rather than daydreaming up new ones. Which I say for the moment. Because the more I’ve been learning about proper rest and recharging my creative muscles, the more God has been breathing fresh life into my spirit and my writing. It’s truly been such a wonderful experience.
The current story I’m editing involves the concept of what if our internal spiritual and moral decay transformed more than our character, but transformed our whole bodies into dark, merciless creatures. Monstrous creatures who hunger for light, and who swarm like a plague devouring anyone to feast upon the light within a person. (Creepy I know. But I promise nothing is graphic!!)
And what if the king’s solution to heal the land and rid the kingdom of the plague, would be to destroy the very people Adonai (God) asked you to protect.
*squeals* I’m soooo excited about this one. Although—to be fair—I’m excited about all my books. Ha!!
– Oh my goodness, that sounds AMAZING!!! I need iiiiiittttttttttt!! Can’t wait to hear more on this, friend! <3 Illusionary recently got a very glittery makeover and it is SO pretty! (Though I still love the old cover and will hug my 1st edition paperback with fondness. Hehe!) Let’s take a step back to when the story was first inspired and being written. How did you fall into the land of Ur and its creation? Did you fall down the stairs like Kam? Also, are you secretly hiding story dust?!
I LOVE the new cover! Yes, the 1st edition still holds a special place in my heart, but I can’t help going all “heart-eyes” over the new one. It’s so shiny. LOL.
And the origin of Illusionary’s daydream has to be my favorite of all my “story births” to date.
It involves my dryer and a mother’s desperate plea to escape. LOL. Which I know a lot of moms can relate too.
I had hit my breaking point one day. Life had been too heavy. Chores kept piling up, and it seemed I was the only one in the whole household who knew how to wash a dish.
As I shoved yet another load of laundry into the dryer, a random thought came to me: what would happen if a magical portal opened up in my dryer and whisked me away to another dimension?
Now, I know that can’t happen in real life. But I had a good laugh as I imagined my family’s frantic reaction to discovering the dryer had eaten me. Ha!
Yet at that moment a crazy seed planted itself within my imagination. One God nurtured and bloomed into a full-fledge story idea.
I toyed a little with the daydream. Tweaking the details to be a young woman face-planting down the stairs—because dryers do not eat people. (just in case anyone was worried *wink*) I took a journey with Kam to see what she would discover in this new world and what challenges she’d face. And there had to, of course, be a romance in there somewhere. *cheeky grin*
Then Ta-Da! *throws confetti* The story of Illusionary was born!
Oh, and Reese is being a little punk and not sharing the story dust!! I had a stash at one point, and now it’s missing. *pouts*
– That is such an epic beginning story idea! I’m glad to know that dryers don’t eat people though (even in fictional worlds LOL)! Ahhhh Reese will need to be “hunted” for some story dust then! I could use some during this quarantine! LOL! Speaking of story worlds, Illusionary’s world is beyond amazing! I love it sooooooo much! If you were to put a vacation package together for readers, what places would be on the list? Any must do activities to accompany the tour?
Goodness, I’m not sure! Lots of places in Ur are dangerous. At least they were for Kam!
I think either Bellwisp Forest or the Indocan camp would be the safest places. Although *taps chin* visiting Duchess Paloma could be rather interesting. Definitely entertaining with all the unique creatures wandering through her castle, and the dinner parties would be so fun!
Bellwisp Forest would be by far the prettiest, especially for those who love mountain getaways. Plus the stay would offer guests several fun options of staying inside a tree! Along with a slide entrance to the story cave. Oh, and cake for breakfast!
Ahh! Now I wanna go to Ur. LOL.
– Yep, I officially want to go (again) to Ur! Sign me up for this tour package! I’ll be sure to have my bags packed ASAP (and ready to maybe even snag some story dust from Reese for the trip home *winks*)! I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with? What would you guys do?
Yeah, I can’t do this one. Ha!
I love each of my characters. All for different reasons. And in fact, each story and adventure holds a special place in my heart due to how the journeys have ministered to me on personal and emotional levels.
While I’ve grown in understanding of the writing craft itself, I’ve also developed as a person through this life adventure with God. Each of those stories and books represents little impressions of those milestones.
I can’t narrow my heart down to just one!
– I really get this! The other day I was just thinking about this question and how I would answer concerning my interactive story. I don’t think I could choose because each of the characters either because they are all so special to me! HUGS! Totally understand! <3 For my last question, do you really think we could convince Reese to do our laundry, cook dinner, and do the dishes? I mean will he leave Ur to help us out all the time in those areas? He would more than a welcome guest in my household should we be able to convince him! LOL!
We wouldn’t be able to convince Reese. However, I think we’d have a great chance of convincing Kam, who would then bat her eyes and Reese would cave. Yay us!
And I should totally tell him to visit you. Although there’s a good chance he’d get sidetrack from the chores and start telling the kids stories.
Which I don’t think would be a bad thing! He’d keep the kiddos entertained while you work on your projects.
Though it could turn into chaos if Kam joined in. Then everyone would be wearing capes and playing with plastic swords. Bahaha!
– Hahahaha! I love this! My only request should this awesomeness unfold is that Reese “deliver” you to my house! 😉 Thank YOU for letting me chat and gush about your book, Desiree! You are amazing and so thankful for you, sweet friend!
Ahhh! Thank you so much for allowing me the opportunity to swing by and chat. I always love getting together with you! And I hope to hang out in person one day soon!
About the Author
Desiree Williams is a dreamer by day and chocoholic by night. She lives in the beautiful state of Kentucky with her husband and daughter, where she juggles life as a wannabe supermom. Desiree is a lover of food and avoider of dirty dishes. She delights in making people laugh and strives to bring hope and love with her wherever she goes.
You can find out more about Desiree and her books at www.desireewilliamsbooks.com