Are you ready to do some legend seeking?!
(Yes? Please say yes! :D)
I really hope you said yes because I need you to put on this tutu before we move forward!
Yes, a tutu because as you will soon find out, friend, every good adventure demands a tutu. 😉
How do I know this?
Well, today’s featured author told me, of course! 😉
Come jump in this fun interview I had with the wonderful Kristiana Sfirlea, author Legend of the Storm Sneezer!
(And don’t forget your tutu!)
About the Book
Legend Seeker. Part-time Ghost Hunter. Time Traveler.
Thirteen-year-old Rose Skylar sneezed a magical storm cloud at birth, and it’s followed her around ever since. But when Stormy causes one too many public disasters, Rose is taken to Heartstone, an asylum for unstable magic. Its location? The heart of a haunted forest whose trees have mysteriously turned to stone.
They say the ghosts are bound to the woods…then why does Rose see them drifting outside the windows at night? And why is there a graveyard on the grounds filled with empty graves? Guided by her future selves via time traveling letters, Rose and Marek–best friend and potential figment of her imagination–must solve the mystery of the specters and the stone trees before the ghosts unleash a legendary enemy that will make their own spooks look like a couple of holey bed sheets and destroy Heartstone Asylum.
Letters from the future are piling up. Rose can’t save Heartstone herself. However, five of herselves, a magical storm cloud, and a guardian angel who might very well be imaginary? Now that’s a silver lining.
But will they find what killed the ghosts before what killed the ghosts finds them?
– Welcome Kristiana! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
Passionate, goofball, encourager
– This makes me smile because being a “goofball” is amazing! Team Goofball for the win! 😀 I saw you mention on your website that your dream is to own a mobile bookstore! FLAILS! I remember reading about them years ago and have wanted to have one too! Though I can’t say I would want a haunted one. LOL! What kind of theme would you have your mobile bookstore be? (And don’t mind me as I daydream how I could have a unicorn accompany said mobile bookstore.)
While my bookmobile wouldn’t be officially “haunted,” my dream is to have one dedicated entirely to spooky middle grade books! So there would have to be an ethereal feel to the inside. Lots of gauzy decorations and shimmery paint. And a couple jumpscares thrown into the mix, too. 😉 Maybe if you pull a certain book off a shelf, a little ghost will drop on your head!
And I would visit your unicorn bookmobile in a heartbeat!
– That sounds amazing!! Well, except the jumpscares, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was for the purpose of feeding some certain Wargs! 😉 (It’s okay, Kristiana, you don’t have to keep a secret. Hehe! *winks*) I am totally fascinated by all the cosplay you’ve done! Historical reenactor? Haunted house worker? Say whatttt! SO cool!! What has been one of your favorite outfits to wear or unrelated-to-work cosplay?
Here’s a fun fact about my historical reenacting and haunted house stints—they actually happened at the same time! I worked at Colonial Michilimackinac (and yes, I can pronounce that just fine) in Mackinaw City, Michigan, and every year they have a Halloween event that turns Fort Michilimackinac into a spooky spectacular, which includes—you guessed it!—a haunted house.
So get this: I got to dress up as a colonial werewolf girl! We’re talking three-layered skirts, bodice, cloak, funky shoes, and…a big ol’ fuzzy werewolf head! Best time of my life.
– No way!! That sounds epic, and I don’t even do haunted houses!! (I am indeed a big ol’ chicken! LOL!) MANY congrats on the release of Legend of the Storm Sneezer! As a fun way to celebrate your one-month-old baby and this interview, I found a way for you to enter your story world! WOOT! What outfit are you wearing (or want to wear) while traveling with Rose?
A TUTU!!! Me and my girl have to be wearing matching tutus. I actually haven’t owned a tutu since I was about fifteen, but I miss them! I’ll have to find a properly poofy one for my first book signing…
– Ahhh yes! We must find you one! You both must take a photo together in matching tutus!!! Speaking of Rose, I think it’s awesome she is a legend seeker, part time ghost hunter, AND time traveler! If you could choose any of those roles, which would you choose and why?
Time traveler! It’s a huge responsibility, and my brain hurts just thinking about all the paradoxes and timelines I’d have to keep straight, but I love the idea of visiting my younger selves, helping them with their problems and to grow into the people they’re meant to be (which is, you know, me, LOL). I also wouldn’t mind the assistance of my future self now and again, either.
– You make time traveling sound so cool! I would be worried about all the timelines and such, but I guess that is why one must insure they have a diary. Am I right? 😉 I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with? What would you guys do?
– Oooh, that’s a toughie! I can’t choose Rose, Marek, Sephone, or Aiden because they would hate being separated from their besties. I’m going to go with Silas! We would talk (I could listen to his caramel-smooth voice all day!), he could teach me how to Warg ride, and I can’t think of a better way to fall asleep them to cuddle up against a giant wolf in a cave luminous with glowworms.
– I LOVED Silas!!!!! That would be incredible! I’m just going to need you to take me to your story world now! 😉 For my last question, you just happened to receive a time traveling letter! What did your future self want to tell you?
She would tell me not to worry so much (or at all), to trust God and His process, and to know that this book baby of mine that I poured my heart and soul into will find its readers at the right time and in all the right moments.
– Aww! HUGS! Yes, I do believe future you is right! (And I can assure you that I absolutely LOVED your book! <3) Thank you so much for chatting with me, Kristiana! I had SO much fun!
About the Author
Kristiana Sfirlea is a writer of MG fantasy involving time travel and things that go bump in the night. Her debut novel LEGEND OF THE STORM SNEEZER received the 5-Star seal from Readers’ Favorite and released May 5th, 2020 from Monster Ivy Publishing.
As an author, Kristiana knows what it means to get in character. She spent five years volunteering as a historical reenactor and trying her best not to catch her skirts on fire as a colonial girl from the 1700s (leading cause of death at the time next to childbirth). Working at a haunted house attraction, she played a jumping werewolf statue, a goblin in a two-way mirror, and a wall-scratcher — so if she’s standing very still, growling, checking her reflection, or filing her nails on your wall, be alarmed. Those are hard habits to break.
A proud homeschool graduate, Kristiana credits much of her development as a writer to her schooling experience, which also helped her combat a learning disability, dyslexia, and clear the path for her love of reading. Inspired by a local oddity, the Sweetreads Bookmobile, Kristiana dreams of the day she can run her own mobile bookstore. Or haunted house attraction. Or both. Look out, world — here comes a haunted bookmobile! (And this is precisely why writers should never become Uber drivers.) She loves Jesus, her family, and imaginary life with her characters.