No matter what day of the week it might be, it’s always exciting to interview one of your favorite authors.
Today I am beyond thrilled to host dystopian (and now science fiction romance) author, Sara Baysinger!
Make yourself a cup of tea and join in for this fun interview, but first let me introduce to her gorgeous cover. 😉
About the Book
When Lark is stolen from Earth to be a slave on the planet Tavdora, she’s determined to find her way back home to her family, no matter the cost. Placed in the household of a notorious slave trader, Lark quickly learns her best assets are her eyes and ears. And if she’s brave enough, her voice.
Kalen is the Tavdorian son of a slave trader and in line to inherit his father’s business. But his growing feelings for Lark, the new house slave who dares to speak of freedom, compel him to reveal his new plan for the slave ships returning to Earth—escape. Together, they just might spark a change that flares across the universe.
– Hi Sara! I am SO excited to have you back on the blog!
Thank you! I’m happy to be here! 🙂
– Since the last time we had chatted, you were in the process of self-publishing your amazing dystopian series, Black Tiger. Now that the trilogy is completed, your latest novel recently published with Entangled Teen. What’s it like being a hybrid author? Did you hope to be one?
I did always hope to be one! I’d heard so many good things about both sides of publishing, and I wanted to test each route out myself. I’m blessed that Entangled Publishing took a chance on my book, giving me the opportunity to see what traditional publishing was like!
– I hope both routes have been a fun one! Recently, I saw you dyed your hair. I’m curious…what’s your favorite color and did dying your hair purple have to do anything with The Vanishing Spark of Dusk? 😉
Haha! Good question. First of all, my favorite color is definitely all shades of purple. I didn’t really plan to dye my hair purple because of The Vanishing Spark of Dusk, but now that you brought it up, I’m starting to wonder if I did it subconsciously…
– Purple is such a pretty color. Plus, your hair is gorgeous!! Speaking of The Vanishing Spark of Dusk, so many congrats for your latest novel! I really enjoyed it, especially considering you touched on a lot of tough topics that could leave some people uncomfortable. What was one thing you wanted to come across to readers when writing?
Haha…yes. There were many topics that I felt would leave some of my current readers uncomfortable.
One thing (that’s not one of those topics) that I wanted to come across to my readers in this story was to show what a respectful relationship looks like. When I was a teen it was difficult to weed the “good” guys from the, um, not-so-good guys, to put it nicely. 😉 But I wanted to convey to my readers that the most important thing you could do in any relationship is to listen. Listen to yourself and your body. Listen to your partner. Listen to both verbal and non-verbal cues. What’s more important than looks and charm, is if your partner respects your wishes, and never tries to push you to do anything you’re not ready for. They should always respect your choices, both in the relationship and outside of the relationship.
– Yes! I definitely think you did a beautiful job of portraying this (and with some humor woven in too). 😉 I have to mention that I absolutely loved the world of Tavdora (okay, maybe not everything, but a lot of different things)! There are quite a few fun things that Lark gets to see and experience, including the music dial. If you could experience or have one thing on or from Tavorda, what would it be?
Um, hovercycle, of course! I’ve always wanted to fly, so as soon as OUR world comes out with some sort of technology where I can fly places by myself, I’ll be the first customer. (Assuming I can afford it by then…)
– That would be pretty epic. I hope I have a great driver though! LOL! I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite character, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with you? What would you guys do?
Kalen Rydell. (Swoon!) I would just love to take a walk with him by the river while eating Cupian spiced honey cakes, or just sitting on the patio drinking tea. He’s the kind of guy who makes everyone feel comfortable and relaxed and accepted, and I love those sorts of people.
– I’m totally down for “crashing the party” with trying some of those honey cakes! They sound so good. 🙂 What’s in store for you next on the writing front? I know on Twitter you have shared some really fun #amwriting quotes from your WIP and would love to hear more!
I’m currently working on a YA fantasy novel. This is my first time trying my hand at epic fantasy, but Sarah J. Maas really inspired me with her books, so we’ll see how it goes!
– Ooo! Please tell me more! 😉 Thanks so much for chatting with me, Sara! 😀
Thank you for having me! This was a blast! <3
About the Author
My name is Sara Baysinger and I write books. I was born in the heart of the Andes Mountains in Ecuador where I spent my early life exploring uncharted lands on horseback and raising chickens. I now make my home among the endless cornfields of Indiana with my husband and two children…and I still raise chickens. My dystopian novel BLACK TIGER was self-published in 2016, with books 2 & 3 published in 2017. When not getting lost in a book, I can be found gardening, devouring chocolate, and running off the sugar-high from said chocolate.