It’s been a busy week, but I’m thankful for amazing stories that I can dive into to help relax after a busy day, even if they give me all the feels, make me hold my breath, and want to do nothing else but read. Haha! They tend to make a heavy work load seem less for the most part.
Well, until all you’re doing is finding ways to read when should you be doing something else that may need to be done very soon (like later that evening).
This comes as no surprise from one of my favorite authors Amy Brock McNew as both her previous novels had me reexperience this predicament more then once. (I think when I read Rebirth I did little else those few days I read it.)
I’m so excited that Amy was down for an interview today as her latest release, Resistance, is one any TRWC fan certainly doesn’t want to miss out on!
Check out the book below (and that epic cover) and learn a few things about Amy and the “stars” of this novella, Ilona and Nate.
About the Book
Nate Vaughn lives in Ryland’s shadow, always the little brother, always the screwup. After their parents die, he embraces a world of greed and destruction. There, he is powerful, using his God-given gifts to demolish those weaker than he.
He is untouchable. He is in control. Or so he thinks.
Ilona Romenenko is a survivor. She has endured unimaginable torment at the hands of evil and remains unbroken. Her mission: to save those who suffer as she did. Yet she encases the deepest parts of her heart in steel to protect herself from further agony.
She is untouchable. She is in control. Or so she thinks.
When Nate and Ilona are called to fight side by side, their pasts collide, forcing them to face their demons and the growing feelings between them, stealing precious control. Will Nate let go of his past—and will Ilona open her heart—before their demons destroy them both?
– Hi Amy! I am SO excited to have you on the blog! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
Wow, only 3 words? Man, you’re tough! Okay, here goes. Warrior. Sarcastic. Caffeinated!
– LOL! You did it though! 😉 To many readers, you’re known as the author who writes her guts on the page. When you first had the idea to become a writer, did you know that’s how you wanted to write?
It wasn’t like a singular moment of knowing. It’s just the way I’ve always written. Whether in my journal, in music where I started out, or writing poems, short stories, or even articles. I’ve always let myself go and just poured out onto the page from my heart.
– That’s really awesome. I honestly had no idea what kind of writer I would be when I first started, but I had a lot of cliches I think. Haha! Most of your readers also know you love music. Since it seems you usually listen to rock, what kind of music has taken you by surprise in that you don’t mind listening to it if it comes on the radio?
Hm. I guess it would be some of the new pop or contemporary Christian. I’ve always thought those types of music were cookie cutter, with every song sounding alike. But every now and then, I find one that stands out or that really speaks to me.
– How interesting! I know your stories are definitely not cookie cutter. Your novella Resistance recently released and I am beyond thrilled! As a TRWC fan, it’s so exciting to read more of these awesome characters, especially the “side characters.” Since Liz and Ry’s thing is Oreos, do Ilona and Nate have a thing like that?
Theirs is probably cooking together. Ilona is showing Nate how to cook the old Czech recipes her mom used to make, and he’s introducing her to Southern comfort food. Other than that, maybe video games. She’s always gonna whip his butt at those, but he’ll keep trying. Bless his heart!
– Haha! At least Nate is a fairly good sport about it! 🙂 Speaking of Ilona, she has the tendency to mix up common phrases. What is one of your favorite mixed-up phrases she says?
There are so many! I think one of my favorites is when she says “bet the barn” instead of bet the farm. Or when she says “nice of you to try” instead of nice try. There’s more, but I can’t think of them off the top of my head. She’s just, pardon the pun, quite the character.
– Yes! I love her phrases! They totally make her special. <3 I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite character, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with you? What would you guys do?
Oh boy. I have 2 actually, and I can’t choose between them. The first is Ryland, mainly because he’s a mix of two of my favorite people in the world, two men who have had a profound effect on me and experienced some of the worst and best times of my life. As to what we’d do? Well, there would definitely be food involved! Then we’d go four wheelin’, then maybe go for a hike up Sugarloaf or somewhere else around home. Maybe end the day sitting by a fire at the lake.
The second, and I may catch some flack for this, but it’s Tiriana. I know, a demon. Still, she is fascinating. And hits a little too close to home because there’s a lot of me in her. I have no idea what we’d do. There’s no tellin’. Probably eat somewhere we really couldn’t afford, buy a lot of leather, then go get new tattoos. Then pick a fight or something. Or maybe plan world domination. 😉
– Oooo it would be really interesting to meet with Tiriana! I have to admit I would be too chicken to go out with her. LOL! Sounds like you guys would have a good time though! What’s in store next for readers? I know Tiriana will be be part it of! (*hides*) Will there be another TRWC novel releasing this year?
Yes! Resilience, book 3, the continuation of Liz and Ry’s story, will be out in June. I’m hoping to get Resurgence, the next novella featuring Mac and Andi out this year, as well as maybe book 4. We’ll have to see. As to what’s in store, well, my beta readers are already hollering and crying and throwing things at me for book 3! So expect anything. We all know I have a penchant for torturing my characters, so never get comfortable because Resilience is going to shake Liz and Ry’s world, and yours too.
– Oh. Man. I’m not ready! LOL! Be careful with our readers hearts, Amy! Haha! Thanks so much for stopping by and chatting with me! Can’t wait for Resilience to release later this year!
About the Author
Amy Brock McNew doesn’t just write speculative fiction, she lives and breathes it. Exploring the strange, the supernatural, and the wonderfully weird, Amy pours her guts onto the pages she writes, honestly and brutally revealing herself in the process. Nothing is off-limits. Her favorite question is “what if?” and she believes fiction can be truer than our sheltered and controlled realities. Visit AmyBrockMcNew.com to learn more about this intriguing author.