If you follow me on Facebook, you’ve might have noticed an influx of posts about Renegade Skyfarer by RJ Metcalf.
Friends, this book is awesome! If you love steampunk or want a fantastic introduction to the genre, I strongly suggest checking out this story. It has all the feels, awesome characters, and some good plot twists. (Sounds like the perfect read, eh? *winks*)
I was so thrilled that I had a chance to interview RJ and talk a little more about her writing (including fan fiction!), characters, and family occupations if they lived in Terrene.
Grab a cup of coffee (or chai like RJ) and come take a seat with us for our fun chat!
About the Book
The airship crew saved Ben’s life from a dragon, of all things.
When Ben wakes up, he has no memory of his family, his home, or how he got to this strange world. All he knows is what his new crew members tell him: the magical Barrier that protects their land is weakening. Unless they find the artifact that can repair it, all of Terrene will be destroyed and enslaved by the enemies beyond.
But when Ben suspects that danger may lurk closer than dragons or sky pirates, he has to decide: stay and fight with the airship crew, or focus on regaining his lost memory? If he leaves, he risks losing his newfound friends–but if he stays, he might never return home.
Welcome to Terrene–where dragons exist, the past haunts, and magic is no myth.
Welcome aboard the Sapphire.
– Hi RJ! I am SO excited to be chatting with you today! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
Only three? How can I pick only three? Ummm. Indecisive female nerd? Unsane (long story about the ‘un’ part). Quirky (especially on chai). Renegade.
– Ooo! I’m curious to know more about the unsane 😉 You mention on your website that when you have free time you like to sew. I know you have sewn an incredible Lance jacket from Voltron Legendary Defender for cosplay, but what are some other fun things you have sewn?
Ooh, other fun things? I’ve sewn a whole range of things. For renaissance faires, I’ve made corsets, bodices, chemises, skirts, pants… for anime cons, I’ve made the Amestrian uniforms for Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye, the shihakusho that Shunsui and Nanao wear in Bleach (I also hand-dyed and made Shunsui’s pink kimono. That was an adventure!). And then there’s regular stuff: dresses, skirts, ‘regular’ costumes…
– Wow! I had no idea! That is super cool! You also mention on your website that you’ve written fanfiction. That is so awesome! What are some fanfic pieces you’ve wrote about?
Fanfiction days. **awkward laugh** I’m scared to look at my old stuff and see aaaaall my grammar and writing issues. One of these days I’ll go back and fix it up. I only wrote for two drabble weeks for Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan), and everything I did was based off the prompts given. And I really don’t know which set of ship drabbles I like best: my JeanKasa or LeviHan. The LeviHan drabbles I actually linked in a chronological way, so maybe those? I liked playing with the dystopian soldier theme.
Once I’m not on as many deadlines, I actually plan to pick up fanfiction writing again, just because it forces me into characters not my own, study them, learn them, and try to accurately portray them in a different situation. It’s a good exercise for creativity. And working with prompts is a cross between great fun and smacking my head into the nearest wall. Lol.
– I hope you’ll share some pieces when you start writing fan fiction again! 😀 I’ve only written one piece and it was based on some of the characters from books I read that year. I was beyond excited for the release of your fantasy/steampunk novel, Renegade Skyfarer! Since I heard the title I have been intrigued. How did you come up with it?
Truthfully, I don’t even remember how we got to that title! But I can say that it refers to three different characters in the book. One will be pretty obvious after folks start reading, but I’m looking forward to seeing if readers can catch who else it can apply to. ^_^
– Ooo! Now I want to go back and see if I can correctly guess the other two characters! One day as I was scrolling on Twitter, I happen to see you mention a mechanic princess is in your book. SO cool! If you could have or create any steampunk item, what would you have or make?
A working airship? But not a steamy. Those ones have soo many issues. (uh oh, my inner Jade is coming out!) And the galley would be fully decked out, Briar-style. And all the weapons and gear that would be typical for an airship come automatically, right? So I still get my electro-pike?… Ahhh, it would be pretty spiffy to travel across America with my decked-out airship, and I wouldn’t have to worry about terrors or sky-pirates in our region!
– Can you come pick me up and give me a ride when you get one? Sounds completely epic! I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite character, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with you? What would you guys do?
Oooh… Probably Ben? Or Zak? I’d love to learn hand-to-hand combat from Ben, and sword fighting from Zak. If I was chilling with Ben for the day, maybe find an escape room to bust out of, or buy a bunch of French fries, get a bullhorn, and go to a park, handing out free fries to kids and their parents.
– That sounds so fun! Can I grab lunch with you guys? 😀 Lastly, what kind of occupation would you have as well as your family if you guys suddenly decided to move to Terrene?
I’d probably be a seamstress there. It’d be different to get used to sewing with a steam-powered machine, but I’d get the hang of it quickly enough, I reckon. Or I’d be a baker. And I can make fresh rolls. And loaves of sourdough. And chocolate chip cookies! Mmmm…
Mike would likely be a mechanic or an inventor of some sorts. Something that involves him using his amazing plotting and strategy and making cool stuff that’s useful. He could totally be a general or adviser for battle strategy, but he’s not a soldier by nature, so it wouldn’t be his first pick of a job.
And the boys would be Professional Troublemaker One and Two. Most definitely.
– I didn’t realize Professional Troublemaker could be an occupation! Maybe my kids have a similar job and they aren’t even in Terrene. LOL! Thanks so much for chatting with me, RJ. 🙂 I had so much fun!
About the Author
During the day, Becky is a stay at home mom of two active little boys. When she has ‘free time’, she enjoys reading, writing, baking and sewing.
After many years of creative writing classes, writing fanfiction drabbles and daydreaming, it was high time to start writing her husband Mike’s story. She dove into the world of Terrene and hasn’t looked back—except for when she runs out of dark chocolate.
Any free time not spent in Terrene is typically expended on hosting dinner and game nights, running amok with the two little monkeys or watching nerdy movies with Mike.
Want to dive into a new world or in need of a good book? Enter to win a signed print copy of Renegade Skyfarer, a Stones of Terrene notepad and pen, Notebook of Writing, and bracelet! (US only.)
Blog Tour Schedule
Monday, July 2nd
- Author Interview – Dragonpen Press
Tuesday, July 3rd
Wednesday, July 4th
Thursday, July 5th
- Interview – Jamie Foley
Friday, July 6th
- Review & Interview – Reality Reflected
- Review – One Servant’s Heart
- Renegade Skyfarer Facebook Launch Party
Saturday, July 7th
Monday, July 9th
- Visual Post – Jebraun Clifford
Tuesday, July 10th
- Guest Post – Damaged Pages
Wednesday, July 11th
- Interview – Read. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
Thursday, July 12th
- Interview – Unicorn Quester
Friday, July 13th
- Interview – Lands Uncharted
Saturday, July 14th
- Review – Story Storming
Monday, July 16th
- Blog Tour Wrap-Up –Unicorn Quester