I’m so excited that Fall is literally right around the corner! Only a few weeks away, which means…
Fall Reading can start!
Now even though I’m not a pumpkin spice kind of gal, I do love the coziness of the cooler weather and snuggling up with an excellent read in my hand.
Today’s book highlight would be no exception, except that I might snuggle deeper in the covers and look behind me every few minutes. (Can you tell I’m a chicken?)
It is with so much excitement to share that author S.D. Grimm stopped by to share a little more about her latest release, Summoner!
Check out the book below and then hear her share five ways her and Allie (her main character) are alike and/or dislike (they both are awesome).
About the Book
When Allie’s best friend dares their group to play a game in a cemetery—something she calls “witching”—Allie never expects what it might mean for her. When she plays, she doesn’t just find bodies, she summons their souls. But one soul wants more than Allie is willing to give.
And the boy next door could be the key to saving her.
Cody Burkhart. Straight from Montana, cowboy hat wearing, and smoking hot, he’s just the thing to help Allie become “normal” again after the death of her mother. And as her newly appointed Guardian, he’s also just the thing to help Allie ward off the vengeful spirit who’s after her soul. Except Cody has his own demons to slay that keep him closed off. But as the full moon approaches, so does their only chance to break the curse, and Cody will have to make the biggest sacrifice of all.
The main character in Summoner is Allie Billings. She’s really sweet, blurts things out, is awesome at basketball, and is super sensitive to emotions. Allie and I have a lot in common, but we also have a lot of differing tastes. In truth, I think we would be friends in real life, and I would totally want to meet her.
So here are five ways Allie and I are alike/not alike.
1. Coffee drinker. Allie is a coffee drinker. She’s in high school, and she already drinks the stuff. I mean, sure, she really likes the cream and sugar in the black liquid that some people swear by, but she likes coffee. I do not. I don’t mind the smell of some of the flavored ones. And coffee shops always smell nice to me. But if I’m going to get a dose of caffeine, it’s going to be from a chai or other type of tea.
2. Allie is an extrovert. She isn’t shy. She’s not afraid to talk to strangers or meet new people. I honestly admire that about her. I am an introvert and a shy one at that. That doesn’t mean I don’t like people, I do. I just need recharge time afterward. Allie gets charged up after hanging out with her friends and it’s a very important part of who she is. It’s a big reason she’s so worried about losing them after her mom dies and she pushes them away.
3. She’s that girl who always tries to make sure everyone in the group is happy. Caring and concerned and compassionate. That’s who she is a friend and I love it about her. (Cody loves it about her, too.) I would say that in my friend group, I am not the one who’s best at this, but I really do try and make sure everyone in my group of friends is feeling secure and content. If someone looks like they feel left out, I will attempt to bring them into things so they feel included.
4. Another thing Allie is really good at is basketball. Her dad played and he made sure his daughter had the skills. I . . . yeah there are sports I’m good at (and I LOVE sports) but I’ve never been good at basketball. I’m not sure if the fact that I’m 4’11” has anything to do with that…
5. She loves dogs. HOW CAN YOU NOT? I am a bona fide dog lover. I recognize rare breeds. I have dogs. I will talk to strangers to ask if I can pet their dog (on occasion, let’s not get carried away). Puppies make me melt. Allie isn’t *that* into dogs, but she likes them, so I like that about her.
So are you more like Allie on these or like me? I’m curious to know!
About the Author
S.D. Grimm’s first love in writing is young adult fantasy and science fiction. She is represented by Julie Gwinn of the Seymour Agency and author of SCARLET MOON. She currently has four books under contract, including the remainder of her YA fantasy series Children of the Blood Moon. When she’s not writing or editing, Sarah enjoys reading (of course!), practicing kickboxing and Brazilian jiu jitsu, training dogs, and binge-watching shows with great characters. Her office is anywhere she can curl up with her laptop and at least one large-sized dog. You can learn more about her upcoming novels at www.sdgrimm.com.
Want some fun book swag of Summoner? Check out this awesome giveaway, which includes a velvet bookmark, keychain, charm, a journal based on the Alllie’s mom gave her, Allie’s salsa recipe, and a $20 Amazon gift card. Fill out the entry form below to enter (US only).
>>> a Rafflecopter giveaway <<<
Calling all book readers! Join S.D. Grimm as she celebrates the release of Summoner on September 19th from 7-10:30PM EST.
Grab your favorite drink and snack and be prepared for a fun night of chatting with her, Sara Baysinger, Jamie Foley, and Deanna Fugett. The event will be online, so you can attend in your pajamas.
Hope to see you there!