Woo hoo! I am sooooooo excited to be participating in this blog tour today!
Not only is the chat I had with Hawk and Ion simply amazing (like seriously, check it out below because their conversation made me love them even more), but the whole book was simply awesome.
Insert unique world-building, a love/hate romance, and tense situations that leave you on edge, The Blood Race is a read that just might literally pull you out of this world.
About the Book
He’s spent his life running from who he is. She’s been trying to escape her past for 100 years…
Born with unexplainable abilities he struggles to control, college student Ion tries desperately to integrate into his new school and finally put his dark past behind him. But after making a serious enemy, which leads to an accidental rendezvous with the mysterious old man next door— and his hauntingly beautiful but troubled young protégée Hawk, Ion realizes his life will never be normal again.
Late one evening, Hawk drags him by the hand into a closet-turned-rabbit-hole to an extra dimension, and Ion finds himself stumbling involuntarily into a secret society of training for “anomalies,” teenagers with a special set of abilities. Just like him.
As they train to become Protectors of future Earth, battling each other as well as their own demons, both Ion and Hawk begin to realize that they are far more alike than they realized. Unsettlingly so.
When the Dimension is shaken by an unthinkable betrayal, will an ancient prophecy bring Hawk and Ion together—or will a deadly threat hidden in plain sight cost them both their powers… and their lives?
– Hey Hawk! Hey Ion! I am super pumped to be chatting with both of you!
H: Hey, Laura. Great to be here.
I: …You sound super enthused, Hawk.
H: *elbows Ion in the ribs*
I: Ow! What did I do now?
H: I’ve never been interviewed before, okay? I’ll be suspicious if I want to.
I: ….did you even check out her website before this interview? It’s awesome.
H: I would remind you that this ‘website’ thing of which you speak is for non-transdimensional teenagers.
I: there’s a unicorn in the header.
H: What? I’m confused.
H: I know, I know– we’re getting off topic. Laura, it’s great to be here, ignore this fledgeling and his ranting!
I: *shoots Hawk a glare*
– Excuse me while I try to contain my giggles throughout this interview, guys. Also, thank you so much for your kind words, Ion. I so love you both being here and totally appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedules to come and chat with me. My day just got more exciting knowing you two are here! 😀
I: Laura, the honor is all mine, I assure you. Pumped to be here.
I: And you accuse me of sounding like a teenager?
– Since I have been eagerly anticipating our conversation, I thought it be fun to ask questions about what you think the other would have or say. Sort of a fun way for us all to get to know each other better. Okay, well maybe ME get to know you both better. *(starry eyes)*
I: Oh, sweet. So I finally get to divulge some of Hawk’s dark, bird-of-prey secrets? *rubs hands together* I’m so down.
H: …Psh! Like you know my secrets!
I: I know… a few.
H: as if.
I: *nodding* You know, like that time when…
H: *claps a hand of Ion’s mouth*
H: Okay, Laura, ask away!
– *attempts to hide grin* For my first question: What are three items you think is in the other’s fridge?
I: *Picks Hawk’s hand off his mouth*
I: Cool whip. Heaps of it.
H: Ew. No.
I: Um…lying is breaking the code, in case we’ve forgotten. There’s like a giant tub of it in Sensei’s fridge, and I’m pretty sure most of it was gone.
H: Ugh, fine. It’s not like I survive off of it though.
I: No, you survive off of raman noodles like most college students.
H: Hey! You’re the college student here, not I.
H: Hmm… this is a tough one for me, Laura, because I’ve never actually seen inside of his fridge.
I: She asked what items do you *think* are in my fridge, though.
H: Think? Oh, okay. Okay… Hmm.
H: Probably like… cold pizza and pepsi.
I: …more of a coke kinda guy.
H: Same thing, right?
I: TOTALLY different.
– Confession: I would have never guessed whip cream, Hawk. It’s been a while since I’ve had some as well as cold pizza if I might add. Might have to give it another try! What do you consider the other’s must have accessory or article of clothing?
I: Prolly’ like a holster for her machete.
H: *shoots Ion a look*
H: Since when do I carry a machete? No.
I: She has the physique for it.
H: …a holster doesn’t even count – it’s not an article of clothing.
H: *nudges Ion in ribs and rolls her eyes*
I: No, probably just anything black. *turning to Hawk* You wear black a lot if you haven’t noticed.
H: *Glances down at black tank top and jeans*
H: It’s… a stealthy color.
I: Very stealthy.
H: Ion wears Nikes a lot. So I’m going to go with that.
I: They’re running shoes. For like, Parkour and stuff.
H: And they look pretty.
I: *sticks out tongue*
I: Not why I wear them.
– Hey, at least we both know, Ion, that if Hawk really does have a machete, that we’re totally safe. Otherwise, those Nikes should totally come in handy when we have to run! *winks* What kind of music do you think the other listens too?
I: I don’t know, see, this one time Hawk had me over for breakfast, she was like headbanging to rap music, so I guess that’s her thing.
H: *shoots Ion a look*
H: I was NOT headbanging, what the heck.
I: *chuckles* I don’t know, Hawk…I thought you seemed pretty into it.
H: I was playing that so that you would –
I: Shhhh. Don’t spoil it for them.
H: Spoil what…? Ugh. Okay, whatever – I don’t usually listen to rap music though.
I: Yeah, no, you seem more like…a moody soundtrack type? Who brags about listening to soundtracks.
H: And you probably listen to like…
I: *wiggles eyebrows, waiting*
H: *laughs* Ugh, I don’t know, maybe some… modern punk band…?
I: *bursts out laughing* ‘Modern punk band?’ Very specific.
H: I don’t know the names of many bands, okay? I listened to like, Bing Crosby when I was your age.
I: You’re still my age.
– Aw I was totally down for some spoilers! I’m super curious about this last question. Hawk, if Ion’s racing and you’re his lucky passenger, what’s your first reaction when he hits top speed? What would you do or say? And what about you Ion? How would you react if Hawk was your passenger?
H: Oh boy…that’s an image, right there.
I: She would be probably trying to smack me in the face, but the g-forces would be hitting her so hard she wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. That…actually sounds like a really fun scenario.
I: Imagine it, Hawk.
H: I’m trying not to.
H: No, he’s right, Laura, I would probably try to smack him one.
I: And as your hand impacted into my face, my eyes would squeeze shut in an inevitable knee-jerk reaction and we would both go careening off the road into a ditch.
H: That got dark fast.
I: *takes a small bow*
I: Oh, and how would I react to having Hawk as my passenger?
I: *stares at Hawk*
H: …And he begins to plot something devious.
I: Ha! And she assumes the worst!
I: I was actually just thinking my reaction would be to take you to like… a Dairy Queen drive through.
I: *laughs* because you’ve probably never been to a DQ, and I know you love ice cream.
H: …You accuse me of having an ice cream weakness? Really?
I: *gives Hawk a knowing look*
H: *Chuckles and claps a hand on Ion’s shoulder*
H: He’s really not all bad.
– Oh this was such a fun interview, you two! Ion, if you take Hawk to DQ, I so want to go with you! Thanks again for chatting with me! It was awesome!
I: Thank you so much for having us, Laura! This was awesome, you’re awesome, we’re awesome…
H: Did you just compliment yourself, Ion?
I: I was boosting my self-esteem. It’s healthy.
H: *rolls eyes* *chuckles*
H: Thank you for having us, Laura. This interview thing was actually kinda fun.
I: *coughs* who told you not to be suspicious, hmm?
I: *grins and waves*
– Haha! Glad you both came, despite any suspiciousness, Hawk! You two are truly a hoot (no pun intended)! *winks*
Note: Some photos are from K.A. Emmons Instagram account (which is awesome if I might add). Link below.
About the Author
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run. Emmons lives in the often-snowy hills of rugged Vermont with her husband and dog named Rocket.
Check out this epic book trailer of The Blood Race and then be sure to snag your copy on Amazon (you won’t regret it)!