Eeeekk! I am beyond thrilled for this post!
Why you may be wondering?
I had the wonderful chance to interview K.A. Emmons, author of The Blood Race and Worlds Beneath!
Not only am I interviewing her today, but she is also offering a BOOK GIVEAWAY at the end of this post! 😮 😮 😮
Did I mention it was signed and that I want to enter too? 😉
Grab a cup of coffee and come sit around the table with Kate and I as we chat about surfing, feels, and book characters.
About the Book
“Who are you, Icarus, that the earth opens its mouth to receive your blood?” Sensei’s words were my last thoughts before I fell into the bottomless ravine, plunging toward my own death, and bringing about Hawk’s at the same time. Or so I thought.
I woke up underwater. I awoke in a strange and unfamiliar world, filled with maze-like forest, shadows, and nightmares seemingly as vivid and dangerous as reality. I had no idea who I was, or how I got there – I couldn’t remember anything, until I remembered her: Hawk. The other half of my soul.
I knew that in order for her to stay alive, I had to survive and find a way out. But that’s easier said than done when you’re trapped in a realm as deadly as your every thought – and dominated by a hierarchy of ravenous wolf packs.
Alerted by a dream, I realize that Hawk has left the Dimension to come find me. For an instant, I rediscover hope. But that hope quickly burns to ash when I realize that we may not be the only ones down here. Someone else with a thirst for her blood may have survived the fall too. And I may have just lured her right into the jaws of a predator even fiercer than the wolves.
– Hi Kate! I am SO excited to be chatting with you today! For those who don’t know you, can you share three words to describe yourself?
Hey Laura!! It’s so incredible to be here chatting with you again, and bringing another book to the table. Last time we were chatting about The Blood Race, and that is a surreal feeling!
Okay, three words! Here we go:
– Yes! I felt the same way about us last chatting about The Blood Race! So thrilled for us to chat today! 😀 You mention on your website that you listen to vinyls. How awesome! Do you personally own any or borrow vinyls from someone you know?
Ahhh, yay! A vinyl question! I have grown up listening to vinyls from my Mom’s impressive collection, and have, in time, stacked up a small one of my own. One of my most frequently spun albums would have to be Where The Light Shines Through by none other than Switchfoot, which I firmly believe must be played with the volume cranked and the windows open.
– Wow! That is super epic! You also mention on your website that you like to surf and hike. What are some of your favorite surfing or hiking places?
I’ve surfed a good bit here and there along the east coast of the US. My favorite break would be the place I actually learned to surf, a place called Gooch’s Beach in Kennebunkport, Maine, which has come to feel like a second home. The waves are typically an icy temperature, even in the late summer, but it’s not unusual to see me paddling out past the break zone, in a full body wetsuit and with a mop of salty wet hair.
For hiking, the desert is one of my favorites – polar opposite of surfing in every way, ironically! Particularly Badlands National park, and Moab, Utah. Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons also has my heart though. There’s so many incredible spots to hike in the western United States!
– Ahh! My Grandma really wants to take me out to Yellowstone one day! I heard it’s gorgeous out there. Also, I totally admire you for braving those icy water temps. 😉 I am beyond excited for the release of Worlds Beneath! I was so thankful to have read an ARC, even though I was pretty torn up by the end. LOL! Did you experience a lot of feels when writing?
Well, thank you SO much for that, Laura! And let me tell you, it was an absolute *honor* to have you on the ARC team.
There were quiiiite a few feels while writing, that is for SURE. A couple of places where tears may or may not have been falling from my eyeballs. Let’s leave it at that. I find writing in general to be so emotional. I get very, very emotional when I’m writing.
– I’m so glad it wasn’t just me who definitely had some tears falling. 😉 Do you think you would want to visit the Dimension or maybe even live there? What would be your “anomaly” ability?
HECK. YES. PLEASE. I honestly already feel like the Dimension is home, so I would be fully on board with commuting back and forth in real life just like Icarus does. That would be prime.
Ooooohh, my anomaly ability! That’s a great question… and hard to answer too, because there’s so many great abilities that I wouldn’t mind possessing! Shifting into an alternate form like Hawk, sounds very appealing to me.
– If you end up staying, let me come visit you sometime please! 😀 Also, I think it would be super cool to shift too. 🙂 I’ve heard on numerous occasions that most authors can’t choose a favorite character, BUT I wonder who you would want to hang out with for a day. Who’s the lucky character to hang out with you? What would you guys do?
Hmm, a character to hang out with for a day? How about a day in Ireland with the beloved Fin? That honestly sounds pretty spectacular to me. And we would definitely go hiking around the cliffs of Howth, and swing into Dublin to listen to live celtic music (a guilty pleasure of mine!)
– Oh man! Can I please come along? *heart eyes* Lastly, when can we expect book three to release and do I need to order a box of tissues in advance? 😉
Hmmm…. Some tissues may or may not be needed! 😉 Haha! I am seriously very excited for book 3 – I’m actually working on editing that book now, and getting it off to my editor, so the release date on that should be much sooner than the span of time in between books 1 & 2. I won’t give a specific date, but I will say that – sooner than this last book. 🙂
– I’ll be sure to have those tissues ready and I am beyond thrilled for book three! Thank you so much for chatting with me, Kate! 🙂
Thank you so much for having me on the blog, Laura! You are AWESOME and it is always a pleasure!!
About the Author
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run. Emmons’ debut novel The Blood Race is the first book in her YA science fiction/fantasy thriller series. Get connected with Kate on your favorite social platform, and be sure to check out http://kaemmons.com/!
Want to enter to win a SIGNED copy of The Blood Race? Click the link below to enter!
Blog Tour Schedule
- July 1st: Author Interview – Jameson C. Smith – www.jamesoncsmith.com/
- July 2nd: Guest Post by Kate – Top 5 Tips for Aspiring Indie Author’s – Nabila – hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com
- July 3rd: Book Review – Hannah Whatley – https://storiesandsoulspeak.
- July 4th: Book Review & Giveaway – Hannah – Plottinger Twist
- July 5th: Author Interview & Paperback Giveaway – Unicorn Quester <—You are here!
- July 6th: Guest Post by Kate & Paperback Giveaway – Hannah – firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 7th: Book Review & Giveaway – Lisa – http://thisinkwell.blogspot.
- July 8th: Guest Post & Giveaway – Rosie – www.selfknownblog.com
- July 9th: Book Review & Paperback Giveaway – Kenzie – www.paperpizzablog.com
- July 10th: Book Review for The Blood Race – Chloe – https://purelybyfaithreviews.
- July 11th: Author Interview & Book Review – Ivie – iviewrites.blogspot.com
- July 12th: Author Interview – Elly – https://elyselily.blogspot.
- July 13th: Author Interview – Rebecca – https://authorrebeccamorgan.
- July 14th: Guest Post by Kate & Book Giveaway – Liv K. Fisher – https://the-book-sprite.
- July 15th: Book Review & Author Interview – Grace Anne – totallygraced.blogspot.com
- July 16th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Lila Kims – https://lilakimswriter.
- July 17th: Guest Post – Tessa Emily Hall – www.christiswrite.blogspot.com
- July 18th: Medomfo – www.writingsfromagodgirl.
- July 19th: Livy Lynn Blog – http://www.livylynnblog.com
- July 20th: Guest Post, Book Review, & Giveaway – Hanne – rockandminerals4him.wordpress.
- July 21st: Guest Post & Paperback Giveaway – Audrey Caylin – http://audreycaylin.com/
- July 22nd: Book Review of The Blood Race – Gracelyn – Gracelynbuckner.wordpress.com
- July 23rd: Book Review of Worlds Beneath & Paperback Giveaway of The Blood Race – Serena – http://poetreeandbooks.
- July 24th: Book Review of The Blood Race & Author Interview – Faith – Thefloridsword.blogspot.com
- July 25th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Angel – www.purelyunorthodox.com
- July 25th: Guest Post & Book Giveaway – Stephanie – Stephaniekehr.blogspot.com
- July 26th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Jessica – Theartfulauthor.wordpress.com
- July 27th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Allyson Kennedy – https://authoringarrowheads.
- July 28th: Book Review of The Blood Race & Giveaway – Theresa – https://thecalicobooks.
- July 29th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Abigail – Novelsdragonsandwardrobedoors.
- July 30th: Sarah Addison-Fox – http://www.sarahaddisonfox.
- July 30th: Book Review of The Blood Race – Savannah Grace – http://savannahgracewrites.
- July 31st: Book Review of The Blood Race & Author Interview – Kiki – https://ohsopriceless.wixsite.
I [Livy] love planning blog tours for Christian authors, so letting your readers know who planned the Tour, is an awesome way to spread the word! I have an image below for you to include in your post + this link: https://www.